A gang of over 50 youths accosted cruise passengers who arrived in Mombasa yesterday and made off with valuables, leading to the cancellation of their visits to the port city.
The attack, which occurred at the renowned Pembe za Ndovu on Moi Avenue, prompted the police and county officials to deploy officers to areas frequented by tourists.
The 1,169 passengers and crew arrived aboard the MV Crystal Symphony from Mahe, Seychelles, and will be departing today (Tuesday) for the vibrant Indian Ocean island of Zanzibar.
This was the final cruise ship to dock at the Port of Mombasa this season, which ends in April. The next cruise ship season begins later in September.
“Officers from the Kenya Tourism Board (KTB) and the National Police Service (NPS) boarded the ship to apologise for the attack and assure the tourists,” said a KTB officer yesterday.
The official, who requested anonymity as she is not authorised to speak to the press, said no tourist was injured, although most cancelled their visit to Old Town and returned to the ship.
Security agencies are battling a surge in crime in Mombasa and Kwale, attributed to machete-wielding gangs terrorising locals, traders, and tourists. At least 200 suspects were arrested on Saturday.
At the port’s cruise ship terminal, Kenya Ports Authority (KPA) General Manager for Finance, Mr Geofrey Kaveta, who represented KPA Managing Director William Ruto, led other government officials in welcoming the ship’s crew and passengers.
“The arrival of this vessel once again strengthens our port’s role as a gateway to existing cruise experiences,” Ruto said.
Kenya Tourism Board (KTB) Deputy Director for PR and Corporate Communications, Wausi Walya, said that the Port of Mombasa’s popularity continues to grow, as reflected in the increase in cruise ship visits, with some ships staying from one day to two or more.
“Cruise tourism remains a key pillar of mainstream tourism, as it presents job opportunities for all. We pride ourselves on having the best port infrastructure on the eastern rim of the Indian Ocean,” she noted.
Wausi announced that with the end of the cruise season, a delegation from both KTB and KPA will attend this year’s Sea Trade Cruise Global Convention, which is scheduled for April 7th–10th, 2025, at the Miami Beach Convention Centre in Florida, USA.
“Our participation in this convention is key, as we aim to promote Mombasa as a cruise destination. With world-class facilities and professional port handling, we expect more cruise ships to call here,” she said.
This year’s event marks its 40th anniversary and aims to connect with the global cruise community, explore emerging trends, and gain insights from industry leaders to shape the future of the cruise industry.
Stay informed. Subscribe to our newsletter
The 2024 edition was attended by around 11,000 people, with 600 exhibitors lining the halls, attracting participants from 120 nations.
Over 70 global cruise ship brands participated, making it the largest and most enjoyable event in the cruise industry.
Crystal Symphony’s local handling agents, Inchcape Shipping Services, through its Mombasa Port Captain, Dr Bwanaheri Lali, expressed their excitement about working with key stakeholders such as KPA and KTB to popularise the Port of Mombasa as a cruise port of call.
“We hope for a better new season as we strive to ensure that many cruise ships will call here,” said Dr Lali, whose firm has previously brought in Ms Europa and Norwegian Dawn, the latter of which was received by President William Ruto a month ago.
Mombasa County Executive Committee Member for Tourism, Mohamed Osman, expressed their pleasure as the host county in welcoming more cruise ships.
Captain Tonli Hladilo, skipper of the Crystal Symphony, thanked everyone for the warm welcome to the ship, her passengers, and crew, and pledged to ensure more future visits.